The Flint Institute of Music (FIM) is a dynamic, one-of-a-kind place where incredible experiences happen every day. From stirring symphony concerts led by a world-class conductor, to fun, engaging, challenging music, dance and theatre classes for students of all ages, to lively and thought-provoking plays, the FIM enriches and enlivens our community in a very special way.
The FIM is made up of the Flint Symphony Orchestra, Flint School of Performing Arts and the Flint Youth Theatre. Nearly 300,000 visits are made to these programs annually.
Flint Symphony Orchestra
- Sold-out concerts led by Maestro Enrique Diemecke, two-time grammy nominee, who regularly conducts in South America, Europe and the U.S.
- A classical concert series, award-winning Holiday Pops concerts, Nutcracker, and great summertime Music in the Parks performances each season
- Edge-of-your-seat concerts for more than 18,000 audience members annually
- Students make up 30 percent of all single ticket buyers to FSO classical concerts
- The thrill of discovering new instruments, new music and new possibilities for 30,000 elementary students each year who experience The Troubadors
Flint School of Performing Arts
- The tenth largest community school for the arts in the country with 3,500 students in music and dance
- Professional careers in the arts for those students who go on to perform or teach with arts organizations around the world, including the New York Philharmonic
- Tuition-assisted and free programs that provide exceptional music and dance opportunities for all members of our community
- A lifelong appreciation of the arts enjoyed by thousands of students, of all ages and abilities, who have participated in FSPA programs throughout the years
- Cognitive benefits come along with long term study of the arts, and the fun and excitement of learning to play music, sing and dance
Flint Youth Theatre
- A nationally recognized award-winning theatre and drama training program with a successful 50-year history
- The Signature Series, a dynamic mix of intergenerational productions created by FYT's resident company, Off the Press Series, informal readings of thought-provoking plays and Learning Through Theatre Series, helping educators and students deepen their understanding of theatre
- The FYT Drama School offering classes year-round for preschool through 12th grade students taught by FYT professional artists, nuturing creative spirits
- InterACT, an outreach program, provides hands-on activities for students in K-12th grade and dynamic learning tools for teachers
If you'd like a closer, more personal look at the Flint Institute of Music and its programs, call 810.237.3123. We would be glad to provide a tour of our facility for you or your group.